Free summer meals offered to children and teens
Daily Inter Lake | June 22, 2022 12:00 AM
Free meals are available to children 18 and under in Flathead County.
Meals will be served by sponsoring school districts in locations in Evergreen, Columbia Falls, Kalispell and Whitefish.
No registration, proof of income or identification is required to participate. Participants are asked to eat breakfast/lunch on-site due to changes in federal requirements.
The Summer Food Service Program works to ensure that youth from low-income families and neighborhoods get nutritious meals when school is not in session. The school district receives federal and state reimbursement for the number of meals served.
For more information text “summer meals” to 97779 or visit the summer meals site finder at https://www.fns.usda.gov/sfsp.
Below is a list of locations and times meals will be served. No meals will be served on July 4.
Kalispell and Evergreen
Sponsoring organization: Kalispell Public Schools (look for a red, white or blue food truck). Lunches will be served through Aug. 19. For more information, call 406-751-3646.
• Logan Fitness Center (west end of the parking lot), 205 Sunnyview Lane, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays.
• Evergreen Junior High, 20 W. Evergreen Dr., 11 to 11:15 a.m., weekdays.
• Hawthorne Park, 184 Hawthorne Ave., 11 to 11:15 a.m., weekdays.
• Empire Estates, off Three Mile Loop, 11:25 to 11:40 a.m., weekdays.
• Hedges Elementary, 827 Fourth Ave E., 11:25 to 11:40 a.m. weekdays.
• Woodland Park, 1 Woodland Park Loop, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays.
• Begg Park, 57 Begg Park Drive, 11:50 a.m. to 12:05 p.m., weekdays.
• Northridge Park, 111 Northridge Drive, 11:50 a.m. to 12:05 p.m., weekdays.
• Elrod Elementary, 412 Third Ave. W., 12:15 to 12:30 p.m., weekdays.
• Lawrence Park, 1105 North Main St., 12:15 to 12:30 p.m. weekdays.
• Peterson Elementary in Meridian Park, 12:35 to 12:55 p.m., weekdays.
• Washington Park, Washington Street, 12:35 to 12:55 p.m., weekdays.
Sponsoring organization: Columbia Falls School District. Breakfast and lunch will be served weekdays through June 29. The schedule for July and August is to be determined based on interest/participation levels. For more information, call Columbia Falls School District at 406-892-6500, extension 5284.
• Ruder Elementary, 1500 12th Ave. W. (enter the kitchen on the north side of the building), 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. (breakfast) 11:30 to 12:30 p.m. (lunch).
• Columbia Falls Junior High, 1805 Talbot Road, 8 to 9 a.m. (breakfast), 11 a.m. to noon (lunch).
Sponsoring organization: Whitefish School District. Lunches will be served weekdays through Aug. 19. For more information, call 406-862-8620, extension 249.
• Forest Acres, 4870 U.S. 93, 11:40 a.m. to noon (lunch).
• Midway Mini Mart, 4899 U.S. 93, 12:05 to 12:20 p.m. (lunch).
• City Beach, Lakeside Boulevard, 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. (lunch).
Reporter Hilary Matheson may be reached at 406-758-4431 or email@example.com.