Tuesday, May 19, 2026
45.0°F

Bigfork Rodeo will go on as planned

| June 22, 2020 1:00 AM

Providing a safe and fun environment will be the foremost priority for the Bigfork Summer Pro Rodeo next month as the event is scheduled to take place July 4-6.

Online support has been overwhelming since the rodeo made the announcement on Facebook last week that it intends to hold the rodeo as planned despite continuing COVID-19 concerns.

According to Operations Manager Rob Brisendine, the rodeo will be working hard this year to ensure the safety of fans, competitors and rodeo personnel by adhering to state and local health guidelines while also working under the guidance of a 30-page safety document provided by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

“We knew we could put on a safe event and the PRCA is behind us doing it,” Brisendine said. “Keeping rodeo alive is important to Montanans. It’s important to the cowboys and their way of life. It’s also the livelihood of the stock contractors as well. This is a family-friendly event where people can come out and celebrate our country as well as each other. We didn’t want to see that die.”

While health guidelines could change over the next few weeks, the PRCA document recommends a number of safety precautions, including the testing of all contestants and rodeo personnel, along with a long list of recommended guidelines for spectators. The document recommends that groups of 10 or more be restricted and that social distancing be observed whenever possible. If unable to maintain recommended social distance, the document recommends that a face mask covering mouth and nose should be required.

Brisendine said the rodeo will be anticipating a dip in attendance this year with all of the restrictions, but said that should be helpful to help maintain social distancing.

— Bigfork Eagle

The Wilderness Club, a high-end resort near Eureka, is seeking access to U.S. Forest Service land to build a multi-million dollar beach and marina on Lake Koocanusa, the Tobacco Valley News reports.

Wilderness Club managing partner Brian Ehlert told the newspaper he anticipates the cost of developing a recreation site would be $2 million to $3 million. It would include a swimming area, restrooms, food and drink services and eventually a marina at a site near the resort. Ehlert told the Tobacco Valley News the beach and marina development would be open for public use.

Forest Service District Ranger Bryan Donner said the proposal will involve “a long process” to identify and review possible new facilities.

— Tobacco Valley News

After six months of committee deliberation, the Whitefish School District is moving forward with a new math curriculum for its students.

The Whitefish School Board on June 9 approved the selection of two math curricula, Into Math by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for kindergarten through fifth grade and Big Ideas by Cengage for sixth- through 12th-graders.

A 14-member committee consisting of teachers and administrators have been meeting for six months starting last year to select and review different potential curriculum choices for the district. The decision for a new curriculum came as part of the district’s strategic plan, which sets a goal of achieving a guaranteed and viable curriculum as well as a goal for aligning the schools’ teaching materials to the district’s priorities.

Ryder Delaloye, curriculum director, said the process has come from looking at what students need to get out of their learning materials, then refining that based on teacher input.

Mark Casazza, math teacher at Whitefish High School, said the inclusion of dedicated professional learning community time last year really paved the way for a strong process in selecting a new curriculum.

— Whitefish Pilot

The Columbia Falls Community Market has seen a change in leadership. President O’Brien Byrd has stepped down and will no longer be involved in the market.

Jami Smith will be the new director and Melissa Ellis will be the new president. Folks who have questions about the market or would like to be involved with the board or other activities can contact Ellis directly at (406) 260-7084 or by email at cfcommunitymarket@gmail.com

Byrd has been president for the past six years, but said his family is taking precedence. He also said it was time for new blood in the market, which has proven very popular.

Ellis, who also runs the climbing wall at the market, said no changes are planned this year.

“The current board and committee has done a phenomenal job,” she said.

Byrd noted the nonprofit market pays no rent for use of the The Coop and his liquor store doesn’t profit from it, either.

As an aside, there is now live music at the market and the beer garden has also reopened, though dancing isn’t allowed due to social distancing requirements.

— Hungry Horse News

The Lincoln County commissioners have earmarked $30,000 for facility upgrades at a local shooting complex.

The money, to come from the county’s payment in lieu of taxes (PILT) fund, was set aside for members of the Lincoln County Shooting Complex in Libby to draw upon as they await grant funding. County officials expect to see the money paid back as grants are awarded.

Commissioner Mark Peck, who represents Libby, said the funding will aid in ongoing improvement projects at the facility. The money covers the cost of cement work and shooting benches, he said.

Peck said he has avoided lobbying for increasing parks and recreation spending, but argued that requiring the Libby Rod and Gun Club to repay the amount made it a reasonable request.

Peck said supporters of the improvements have kept upgrades relatively inexpensive through soliciting donations and convincing vendors to perform work at cost. In recent years, the facility has become a popular recreation site, he said. More than 1,000 people use the complex on a regular basis.

— The Western News