Wednesday, May 20, 2026
50.0°F

Bigfork man accused of breaking into former home armed with a gun

by DERRICK PERKINS
Daily Inter Lake | May 20, 2026 12:00 AM

A Bigfork man allegedly broke into his former home earlier this month and leveled a handgun at the man watching television inside with his soon-to-be ex-wife. 

Prosecutors brought Nathan Willard Rehmer, 44, up on a felony assault with a weapon charge following the alleged May 3 confrontation. He pleaded not guilty before Judge Paul Sullivan in Flathead County District Court on May 7. 

The victims told Flathead County Sheriff's Office deputies that they were watching a show in the living room of the Bigfork Stage home about 1 a.m. when an apparently drunk Rehmer stormed inside, according to court documents. His wife said the two are still married but in the process of separating.  

"Get the [expletive] out of my house and don't ever come back or I will kill you," Rehmer allegedly said to the man inside before pointing a gun at him.  

The male victim told authorities that he saw a red laser dot appear on his body and remembered Rehmer racking the slide, according to court documents. He fled the house soon after, he told deputies.  

Rehmer also departed before deputies arrived, but his wife told the authorities he was staying at another property on the same street, according to court documents. After arresting Rehmer there, deputies allegedly found a 9 mm pistol with a working laser sight inside.  

Taken to the county jail, Rehmer allegedly assured investigators that he expected his wife to drop the charges and said he only wanted to scare the man in the house.  

If convicted with assault with a weapon, Rehmer faces up to 20 years behind bars and a $50,000 fine. 

News Editor Derrick Perkins can be reached at 406-758-4430 or dperkins@dailyinterlake.com. If you value local journalism, pledge your support at dailyinterlake.com/support.