Health program for asbestos victims expanded
LIBBY — A pilot program that provides medical and other services to victims of asbestos exposure has been expanded to 18 additional counties in Montana, Idaho and Washington.
The program offers home assistance, mileage reimbursements for medical travel and other benefits to people with asbestos-related diseases that have been linked to the closed W.R. Grace, Inc. vermiculite mine near Libby.
The program had been open only to people in Lincoln and Flathead counties when it was established under the Affordable Care Act.
U.S. Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., announced Saturday that it will be expanded to include five more counties in Northwest Montana, seven in Idaho and six in Washington.
Baucus says it will help people who moved away from Libby get the health care they need.
Baucus made the announcement during the second day of his three-day Montana Whistle Stop Tour.
“The Libby Pilot Program brought specialized health care only to folks in Lincoln and Flathead counties, but now, with the expansion of the pilot program, those who have moved away from Libby will get the health care they need and deserve,” Baucus said in a news release.
“It has been a long fight to make sure the people of Libby get justice. But it was a fight worth fighting. I am proud of the work we have been able to accomplish together. Libby has a bright future and I look forward to seeing it prosper.”
The program will be expanded to Glacier, Lake, Mineral, Missoula and Sanders counties in Montana as well as six counties in Washington and seven counties in Idaho.
Baucus was also honored Saturday for his work on behalf of Libby and the Center for Asbestos Related Diseases Clinic. Clinic staffers and board members were on hand to dedicate a wing of the clinic to Baucus and unveil a wall of appreciation for the retiring senator.
“I am deeply humbled by this honor,” Baucus said. “Fourteen years ago, I made a promise to the people of Libby, and by working together, we were able to achieve a CARD Clinic that is worthy of the people of Libby and make good on that promise.”
The expansion of the program is expected to cover 80 percent of people affected by asbestos exposure in Libby. As of August 2013, 847 people had enrolled.