Thursday, June 30, 2022

RV destroyed by fire in Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse News | September 21, 2020 11:00 AM

No one was injured, but a recreational vehicle was destroyed after it caught fire at 235 First Ave. S. in Hungry Horse at around 3:30 p.m. Friday.

Christopher Morris, who had lived in the RV for the last three years and had been parked at the location for the last three weeks, said it was most likely a small generator that ignited the blaze.

Morris said he had been in the RV talking on the phone and cooking on a small hotplate, one of two small appliances plugged into the generator, when he “felt that something just didn’t feel right.”

After stepping outside to investigate, Morris said he saw the small generator completely engulfed in flames and starting to burn the side of his camper.

When the Hungry Horse and Martin City fire departments arrived, much of the rear of the structure was on fire. Firefighters were able to extinguish most of the flames within minutes after first disconnecting power cords and removing several propane tanks scattered around the motorhome, Martin City Fire Chief Tom Torpen said.

Firefighters were clear of the scene about 5 p.m.

Recent Headlines